- Inducted in 2000
Jack MacDonald moved to Whitby from Oshawa in 1932.
In the late 1940’s, Jack’s developed a strong interest in baseball and he served as manager of the Whitby Intermediate Baseball Team in the early 1950’s. In addition to his involvement with this team, Jack was also instrumental in repairing and maintaining the north diamond of the Town Park and in procuring a building that was moved to the park for use as a storage room and change room until baseball was no longer permitted in that park.
Jack realized that there was a need for a larger park if the Intermediate team was to join the West Toronto Baseball League and, to this end, reached an agreement with the Whitby Public School Board to build a park behind E. A. Fairman Public School. Jack, together with members of the team executive, approached Len Racher, a contractor, who agreed to supply equipment and materials to prepare the field at a cost of only fuel and wages for the bulldozer operator.
After the park was completed it became the home for Larry’s BA’s of the Senior League until the team was disbanded. When this Senior team folded, Jack switched his attention and energies to the minor baseball program and in 1969, the Whitby Minor Baseball Association (WMBA) was formed, with Jack serving as Registrar from 1969 to 1972.
In 1974, Jack was installed as an Honourary Life Member of the WMBA. During his involvement with baseball, Jack spent countless hours maintaining the baseball diamonds throughout the Town, but as the years went by, he came to regard Peel Park as his pet project. He could often be seen cutting the grass, dragging and lining the diamonds, and moving from park to park to watch baseball being played, particularly by the youth of the Town.