Builder – Ringette
Carolyn Mountjoy is a lifelong resident of Whitby and a graduate of Anderson Collegiate and the University of Western Ontario. She was raised in a family that loved sports, and credits that influence for the enthusiasm she retains today, particularly for the sport of ringette.
Carolyn’s coaching career began in 1991 when her daughter registered to play with Whitby Ringette. Since then, she has gained extensive ringette coaching experience by attending numerous clinics as well as working with other coaches in her chosen sport; she is currently recognized as a Certified Competition Introduction coach by Ringette Canada.
The year 2019 marked Carolyn’s 25th anniversary as a member of various coaching staffs, on teams ranging from the U8 age group to the university and adult levels. As part of these staffs, her memorable team achievements include:
- U10 Ontario Central Region Ringette Championships silver medal (1995)
- Ontario Winter Games bronze medal with the Central Region AAA team (2000)
- U19AA Ringette Ontario Provincial Championships silver medal (2000)
- U19A Ringette Ontario Provincial Championships silver medal (2003)
- Ontario Winter Games gold medal with the Central Region AAA team (2006)
- U14AA Ringette Ontario Provincial Championships gold medal (2008)
- U14AA Eastern Canadian Championships gold medal (2008)
- U16AA Ringette Ontario Provincial Championships gold medal (2010)
- U16AA Canadian Ringette Championships bronze medal (2010)
- U19 exhibition games in Sweden and a tournament in Finland (Dec 2015-Jan 2016)
On a personal level, Carolyn has received the Central Region Ringette Volunteer of the Year Award (2010) and the Ringette Ontario Community Builder Award (2010). She represented Whitby Ringette as a torch bearer for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games as the torch travelled through Whitby, and was inducted into the Ringette Ontario Hall of Fame as a Provincial Builder (2011). Her contributions to ringette were also recognized with the Whitby Ringette Spirit of Ringette Award at the association’s 50th Anniversary celebrations in January 2019.
In addition to her coaching commitments, Carolyn has dedicated extensive time and effort to multiple administrative positions and responsibilities with several ringette organizations:
- Whitby Ringette
- Whitby Women’s Ringette
- Central Region Ringette
- Ringette Ontario Board of Directors
- Ringette Canada
She has also acted as a Ringette Ontario Coaching Clinic Learning Facilitator and a coaching mentor with the Changing the Game Mentorship Program through the Coaches Association of Ontario.